Sunday, April 17, 2011

Grado SR-80i

Name: Grado SR-80i

Price: $99.00 MSRP, $99.00 on amazon, $82.00 when I bought it through a presidents day sale from WorldWIdeStereo.

Build Quality: Most likely the most durable pair of headphones a person can get for under $100. Unfortunately, the stock earpads that they provide kind of pinches my ears due to it being thin. 

Overall Sound Quality: Amazing. Although without an amp, the full power of these headphones can't be projected, they still sound amazing without one. I have never heard any over the ear headphones to be so clean, or even in ears. They're better than the Monster Turbines in terms of clarity.  

Highs: The best part of these Grados. They excel in providing clean highs, and with an amp these can drive the highs and make them clean. 8/10

Mids: Warm mids, still really clean and clear, I don't think there has been any mids that I've ever used with this much clarity. Again, requires an amp to get full effect. 8/10

Lows: Sadly, these headphones don't have strong bass, therefore the lows aren't as good. I would say that they have a balanced amount, especially for rock or pop songs, but for electronic/dance/trance music, it's just not enough. 5/10

Comments: Luckily, it is possible to fix the lows. I've replaced the earpads with HD414 earpads and did a reverse quarter mod on them. Then, I opened the grados and then poked the holes through the filter, making more air go through and provide a bump to the sound. Then, I put some silly putty on the driver so that it doesn't vibrate too much, as more air flow would generate more vibrations and in turn, the highs would get worse. However, after all my mods, I believe these headphones have been modded to perfection, as they provide the same quality highs with a strong bass. These headphones definitely require modding and and amp, which makes them DIY cans. 

Value: 8.5/10 I would recommend these unmodded to anyone who wants decent headphones. However, as this requires an Amp to drive, I would recommend the Grado SR-60i ($79.00 MSRP) instead, as it doesn't require so much power and provide similar results. 

Overall Rating: 8/10 Definitely the best headphones you can get for under $100. They're Made in Brooklyn NY, and shows the quality of good craftsmanship. 





No comments:

Post a Comment